Mindfulness Retreat for Medical Professionals
April 8 – 10, 2022
Mindful Medicine’s Retreat for Medical Professionals is a restorative retreat by healthcare providers for healthcare providers.
Based on the well-established Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) course, this is a highly accessible and valuable program for anyone seeking to improve health. Our experience, supported by evidence in the medical literature, is that mindfulness training can significantly improve the quality of life and medical practice of participants.
Our nonresidential, interactive retreat is offered by our highly experienced instructors, who foster an atmosphere of respect and appreciation, and create a space to create connections with other professionals for mutual support. Mindful Medicine is not associated with any healthcare system. It is a safe place to speak freely and be heard by those who share your experiences.
Retreat Dates & Times
The program includes an introductory meeting on Friday evening, continues all day Saturday, and a half-day on Sunday. A commitment of participation for the entire session is expected for the full benefit of the retreat, a mutually supportive environment, and integration of the material.
- Friday, April 8, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM, and
- Saturday, April 9, 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, and
- Sunday, April 10, 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Our nonresidential, secular retreat will be held at Heart of Wisdom Zen Temple, at 6401 NE 10th Ave, Portland, OR 97211.
The Mindful Medicine Retreat Program
Class content will include practical strategies and tools for integrating mindfulness into your daily life. Participation will include practice of mindfulness techniques in session, at home and between sessions.
- Introduction to Mindfulness for Medical Professionals
- Mindful Sitting, Moving, and On-the-Go Practices
- Burnout Realities and the Pandemic
- Resilience and Self-Compassion and Why Both Matter
- Practices that support caring for ourselves and our colleagues
This workshop is for educational purposes only and is not psychotherapy or medical treatment. It is not intended to diagnose or treat any psychiatric or medical condition.
How We Will Spend Our Time Together
- Didactic instruction on meditation and related brain science
- Walking Meditation
- Body Scan Meditation
- Listening and Seeing Meditation
- Mindful Breathing Practice
- Discussion of practice experiences among classmates
- Mindful Eating Meditation
- Information about the mind and body relationship to stress
- Sitting Meditation
Participation in the group is always your personal choice.
Tuition and Support
- $400: Physicians and dentists
- $275: Nurses and all other healthcare providers
- $200: Residents
- $100: Donation to support our sliding scale & scholarships (Tax-deductible, a 501(c)3 organization)
Materials are included. Once you register here using the button below, a payment statement will be sent to the email address you provide.
If you have been affected by COVID-19 and are unable to invest, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org! We are here to help.
Click here to begin the registration process.
Up to 9.5 hours CME are available for this retreat.
Denise Gour, LCSW, is Certified by the UC San Diego Center for Mindfulness as a teacher of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). She specializes in mindfulness approaches for treating stress, depression, anxiety, and addiction challenges. She has worked as a licensed clinical social worker since 1999.
Laura Martin, LCSW is Certified by the UMass Medical School Center for Mindfulness as a teacher of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). She has been teaching mindfulness professionally since 2002, has worked for many years as a clinical social worker in community mental health, and currently maintains a private practice.
If you have any questions about the retreat, we would be happy to hear from you.